Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Back Nine

Nine years ago this week, Denise and I began a dangerous journey- ok, so it wasn't really dangerous- but it was radical. We moved our family out of the comfort and security of small town life into the unknown of a new city to start Fellowship Church. Start a Church? Yeah, that's what I said when my District Superintendent approached me with the idea. I had no idea how to start a church- or even where to begin. I was actually quite comfortable leading a traditional church to growth- building trust, loving the people, being a friend, working in the community- all the stuff that comes naturally to me and stuff that I had enjoyed doing for the first nine years of ministry. I mean, I cut my teeth on small-town church life… but how in the world do you start a church with seven people meeting in a bank?

The answer is with prayer- and lots of it… and reading a ton of whatever I could get my hands on about starting a new faith community. Over the last nine years God has taught me lots about people, faith, and ministry... and I've learned something about me. So I thought I would share some of the things I've learned- in no specific order...

  • Be careful what you start because it will become a tradition… and soon.
  • Change is necessary and inevitable.
  • Broken people do broken things.
  • All people are broken.
  • Never run in dress shoes.
  • You will have a different group of people with you at 350 than you did at 50.
  • Sometimes you will make decisions that no one will "get."
  • Never take it personal when people leave your church or organization even if they say it's because of you; just thank God for the season you had together and move on.
  • You will not please all people- so don't try.
  • Continually cast the vision God has given you.
  • Get used to saying, "I'm sorry" and "Will you forgive me?"
  • Invest your time and energy with the people who have bought into your vision not the ones who are test driving it.
  • Laugh at yourself often.
  • You don't have to have people around you at all times.
  • Take risks to move the organization forward- but don't be stupid- I have done both.
  • Failure should occur frequently. It builds character, experience and wisdom.
  • Feed yourself spiritually. You can't feed others what you don't have.
  • Make sure to wear the spouse's hat and parent's hat before any other hats.
  • Set boundaries that benefit your health and stick to them.
  • Your best days are always ahead of you.
  • Forgive yourself.
  • Always be grateful for soldiers and their families.
  • Smile.
  • The grass is always greener over a septic tank. (Ok, I didn't learn this- but it's true!)
  • It's ok to read stuff other than the bible.
  • You don't have to apologize for being yourself.
  • As much as it depends on you- have fun.
  • Ministry is hard work.
  • Ministry in a transient community is harder work.
  • Nothing is more exhilarating than leading someone to Jesus.

The coolest thing I have learned is… I love what I do!


Happy Nine years and counting, Fellowship!

2 comments:

  1. Just wondering "how" you came up with this "pricele$$", ditty??? "Never run in dress shoes."
    Or, perhaps, the background story to this, learning experience?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress shoe one... but shouldn't that be a "listen to your spouse" thing instead? Oh yeah, it wouldn't have happened if you were in the right shoes... and wasn't because you were running in the church....

    ReplyDelete